Duration: 3 weeks
Domestic Tuition: $795.00
International Tuition: $1265.00
Practicum III develops and expands on the knowledge and skills learned in Practicums I and II. Students will spend three weeks in a group licensed day care facility and complete 120 hours. They will be required to demonstrate their competencies in planning and implementing activities, communicating with parents and staff and enriching children's play. These competencies will be demonstrated through video clips that will be submitted to the Practicum Instructor for evaluation. Students will become aware of the child as an integral part of his/her family and its cultural heritage. They will learn to appreciate and understand the uniqueness of each child and family.
Student Responsibilities: Make arrangements with a child care centre to complete the three-week placement; make arrangements for a video camera to demonstrate competencies, and ensure that parents are comfortable with the videotaping; work full days in the child care centre and inform the staff if you need to be absent; attend staff meetings when appropriate; meet with ECE Mentor (at least weekly) to discuss activity plans and performance; and participate as a team member by supporting staff in routines, supervision, program planning and general housekeeping.
- To plan and implement activities that promote the growth and development of young children
- To learn how to use classroom equipment and materials to aid child discovery and learning
- To use effective verbal and non-verbal communication with the children in order to foster active inquiry, collaboration and supportive interaction in the classroom
- To demonstrate child guidance and classroom management skills that are in accordance with accepted early childhood strategies and techniques
- To demonstrate appropriate supervision of children indoors and outdoors
- To prepare learning environments that optimize children's development
- To learn about the community resources available for families with young children
- To communicate effectively with children and staff
- To demonstrate an ability to work as a team member