Practicum - Inclusion in Early Childhood Settings
Duration: 5 weeks
Domestic Tuition: $995.00
International Tuition: $1565.00
This is a five week (200 hours) block placement in a licensed centre that includes children who need extra support. The practicum must be taken under the supervision of an individual who has been licensed by the Child Care Registry as a Special Needs Educator in BC. Students will be required to plan and implement six activities/experiences that will support a child requiring additional support to interact with his or her peers. These activities will be videotaped (10-15 minute video clips) and submitted to your Practicum Instructor for evaluation. The student will demonstrate resourcefulness and responsibility related to the staff, the children and the families in that setting, and will become familiar with the resources that can support them.
Student Responsibilities: Make arrangements with a child care centre to complete the five-week placement; make arrangements for a video camera to demonstrate competencies, and ensure that parents are comfortable with the videotaping; work full days in the child care centre and inform the staff if you need to be absent; attend staff meetings when appropriate; meet with ECE Mentor to discuss individual program plans and performance; and participate as a team member by supporting staff in routines, supervision, program planning and general housekeeping.
- To demonstrate strategies to adapt the environment of a child care setting to include all children
- To design and implement activities/experiences that will support a child requiring additional support to interact with his or her peers
- To plan and implement activities to facilitate the growth and development of a child who needs extra support
- To incorporate individual objectives for a child who needs extra support into the daily routines and program of a child care setting
- To demonstrate resourcefulness and responsibility related to the staff, the children and the families in that setting
- To demonstrate effective communication skills with staff, children and families
- To demonstrate an ability to work as a team member
- To demonstrate knowledge of supportive community resources