Do I set up my own practicum?

Return to FAQ index
Students will choose their own practicum placements. This allows them the opportunity to select a centre that is local and that has a centre supervisor that shares a similar child care philosophy. It is recommended that students complete their practicum in a centre outside of the one that they are currently working in. This will allow for the optimum level of objectivity. Most students can find placements in their community where they can complete all the practicum requirements. The Ministry of Children and Family Development offer a tool that will allow students to search for local license centres based on postal code or city. Child Care Resource and Referral Centres will also have a list of licensed early childhood education centres that would be acceptable for practicum placements. The Centre Supervisor must have a current ECE License. Family Day Care Homes are not acceptable for completing practicum placements.